Friday, March 31, 2006

Steve Sutton's "The Portal"


Anyone seen this? Pretty awesome.
Found it through Rob Schrab's site. Apparently he's a huge fan of this guy.
He looks SO much like a Bob Odenkirk character, right?
Steve Sutton makes these no-budget sci-fi shorts by himself. He says he prefers to do them alone, in his apartment, using green screen. He lives with roommates, so he can only shoot when they're not there, because of noise. And only on clear days with no clouds, so that the lighting is consistent for the green screen!.....
He has a website (which even has "Frequently Unasked Questions"), and a blog that I just linked to. It can take anywhere from a month to a year to finish one episode!
The "different" voices and the looks he gives the clones are priceless. And the last line of the first episode....what a punchline! I'm both joking and serious about that.
Hey, he lives near Savannah!

14 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Glad you like the series.

4:18 PM  
Blogger maryk said...

Only had time to watch the first 2 so far, but plan on watching more. Keep it up!

4:27 PM  
Blogger maryk said...

And the reason I noted that you lived near Savannah is that I'm from Savannah originally.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I used to live there, too, at 2322 Florida Avenue, until I was around ten or eleven. I think the house that used to be there was either demolished or extensively renovated, so that you can't recognize it, anymore. It used to be white and square. The last time I went to check it out, around ten years ago, it was kind of brownish and more rectangular. So much for childhood memories.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Anne Elser said...

What a cool idea. A terrific example of pure creativity. Way better than George Lucas, who should have his technology taken away from him.

11:04 AM  
Blogger maryk said...

Bjorn!

11:46 AM  
Blogger ablebody said...

it needs a smart-ass street-talking robot.

3:25 PM  
Blogger ablebody said...

played by steve.

3:26 PM  
Blogger maryk said...

here-here.
Although, not having watched all of them, yet, who's to say there isn't one already? I guess Steve's to say, actually.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Heh, no, no robots. The smart-ass, street-talking robot thing has already been done...on Futurama. :)

3:51 PM  
Blogger Machinistscott said...

Quick... Enagage the hyper drive! We are about to be hugged by that ship.

Steve, what program do you use for your FX?

PS. loved the house update. Ever try to find your old dwellings with Google Earth.

10:52 AM  
Blogger maryk said...

Steve, if Rob Shrab is a big fan of your's....I'd try to get him to help you promote a dvd sale. He is HUGE in the independent short low-budget film/video world (just in case you didn't know--check out channel101.com)---people would KILL to have him interested in their films/shows/ideas. Myself included. So, check out his site (he signed your guestbook, I saw), and work that angle if you're interested in that at all.
I'm just sayin....

1:34 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

MachinistScott: I use Adobe Premiere and Jasc Animation Shop for most of the effects.

Yep, I've found my old house with Google Earth. When I tried to find where I live now, I couldn't see it, because clouds were in the way.

MaryK: Thanks, but the quality of the video isn't good enough to sell on DVD. The 160x120 resolution that it's captured at would be too pixelated, if increased to DVD resolution.

2:01 PM  
Blogger rp said...

"Where i come from it's called america."
A beat.
"That's weird."
High Larry Us.

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home