Saturday, September 06, 2008

so much misinformation

someone, i shall not name names, cuz most of the people reading this know this person, and i love the person, and am mostly just making fun of her in a good-natured way, was asking me the other night, "what's a gizzard?"
i couldn't really tell her, i have to be honest.
Her: "Zesto has liver and gizzards on their menu. and the lady working there said it's the thing on the chicken's neck." I expressed some initial disbelief, but then conceded that the lady working at the Little 5 Points Zesto, serving liver and gizzards, probably knows better than me.
Point conceded. Also, i didn't care that much. ...yet.

Then, anonymous friend asks the bartender of the bar/restaurant (i wasn't boozing, i was eating. and not gizzards) where we're sitting, "What's a gizzard?" Bartender: "It's the neck meat of the chicken." Well, ok. That was a quick, confident answer, 2 to 1, gizzard must mean chicken neck...meat...stuff.

****

Anonymous: "Then what's a liver?"
Bartender: (best, ever-so-slight-beat, then a blink) "It's the liver."

****
How he did it without being a total asshole, or without the slightest bit of "are you fucking kidding me??" I'll never know. Pretty hilarious. got a big tip from me.

So, just now, I go to google gizzards, to post a related link, and --- it's not the f-ing neck meat at all! GAHHHH! It even has an alternate meaning (general guts, innards or entrails of other animals), but it still has nothing to do with the neck.

In the end, i guess the moral of the story is, don't eat either of these things. Or giblets. don't eat those. which are technically heart, liver and gizzards. but we've already covered that.

6 Comments:

Blogger widdiwoo said...

I LOVE GIZZARDS!!! And who would think they're part of the neck, unless the chicken has a huge goiter problem! I bet they think that because it always comes packed inside the chicken with the neck --- and the liver and heart, but no one thinks the heart is in the neck - WTF? Oh well, gizzards are YUMMY!

9:54 PM  
Blogger widdiwoo said...

Oooh! And giblets! Folks use it to make gravy - I always ask if I can chew on them when they're finished with the gravy - I hope I'm not making you sick...

I feel I need to put it out there because I can't tell you how many times in my life people ask me if I'm a vegetarian. I'm so meat and potatoes it's not even funny.

9:56 PM  
Blogger maryk said...

widdi, you're disgusting.

:)

11:11 AM  
Blogger stacey said...

it's basically the bird's stomach. it's different from ours in that it's particularly good at grinding up food since it's very muscular. our stomachs rely more on strong acid to break-it-daaawwwwnnn.

maybe those "neck" folks were confusing it with the "gullet"??

either way, don't eat that shit.

1:27 PM  
Blogger ablebody said...

i thought it was a humorous southern writer.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so what you're saying is i was more right than the person who thought it was the neck. that's the moral--right? :)

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home