Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Urology shoot

had a job this morning. for Bard Urology, whatever that is. 7:00am calltime. ouch. small job, would hopefully be half day, but good money for that, so....
no lines. but a second look at the script yesterday uncovers the part where a "paratrooper drops down on the nurse (me), taking her down." nobody mentioned that to me when they booked me. "are you okay with that? do you have any physical limitations that would keep you from doing this?" none of that.
good money, short day.
good money, short day.
we get there, 7:00am. no coffee, no waters, no bagels, no crackers, nothing. that's fine, if you tell me there won't be ANYthing. i'll grab something from home, but with no mention, that usually means, yeah, we'll have some snacks here.
good money, short day.
the nurse/doctor uniforms aren't the right size, the right color, there aren't enough surgical caps--whatever. not my problem, at least.
the "paratrooper" who is going to take me down turns out to be huge. giant. I had to ask if we were going to put down some sort of pad or blankets or something in the general area where i was to be tackled by this guy...seriously, he was probably 6'4", 280. "oh, uhhh, sure, we can use some of the sound-proofing blankets."
good money, short day.
that part with the tackling stuff actually turned out to be fun, i love that shit, as long as it's done right. and the guy did it right.

the frantic producer/director/wardrobe stylist/writer tries to fashion a surgical cap out of a lab coat from yesterday's shoot. my hair's in a ponytail, and she just wraps material around my head and ties it in the back, it looks like a nun, not a nurse. it looks ridiculous. whatever. she figures she'll cut off the excess material....so she just starts cutting. and as i inhale to exclaim that my HAIR IS IN TH---, she inhales and starts saying "oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. .....i cut your hair!"
"no you didn't."
"yes i did."
"you're kidding."
"no."
"yes."
"what?!"
"I'm sorry."
"you're kidding."
"no, look." she shows me a big clump of hair in her hand. her hand's shaking. i feel bad for her, immediately.
as calmly as i can "i have a big audition out of town tomorrow, so i just need to be able to get out of here in time to go find someone available today to fix it."
"i will get you more money, we'll get you more money for this. we will pay you extra for me doing this...."
i figure a hair cut and a little extra.
she offered an amount that i told her was excessive.
the agent didn't really think it was excessive, citing "pain and suffering." that is funny.
being a dick about the whole thing would have made the whole set unbearable, it was done, it couldn't be put back, she was in a state, and was sorry.
i was able to make it into salon red in candler park for a 12:30 hair cut.
it's shorter than i'd like it to be, but the cut was free.
great money, reeally short day.
why do i feel so dirty?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh. my. god. ohmygod.

7:05 PM  
Blogger cruchic said...

dude. where's the picture? flickr it. and what is up with our in synch hair traumas??? how did salon red do for you? i need to go get them to get my fried hair back in shape. good luck at the audition!

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Need a picture!

But I am sure you look great with short hair.

And you know the thing about hair is that it grows back.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hey Diddle dee dee! An actor's life for me!"

Geeze, what else can you do? It's one of the times when "not my job" is an appropriate response. And what a great story to tell Jay and Dave and Jon when you're famous.

Not long ago you said you desperately needed a haircut. The gods heard you but were just a little slow and very creative in responding.

1:12 PM  
Blogger maryk said...

Josie: Absolutely. It really turned out good for me. WEnt to a real stylist and got an actual haircut. For free. Now let's just see if I can do anything with it.
Skip: http://flickr.com/photos/74265767@N00/
Although that was last night, and today, for this audition, it looks much shorter. LIke, my dad even noticed. ANd it's flipping up at the bottom.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great! And it's not that short. For instance it's not nearly as short as my current tequila-accident-induced style. ;D

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May she drown in a firery pit of hell and gag on hair ball stew.

I wish it had never happened, but you are the most amazing woman ever for the way you handled it.

I refuse to choose an identity...

10:54 AM  
Blogger maryk said...

i know who you are, anonymous. i'd rather have the extra pay they offered than the hair, anyway. sister need to hire some help and stop being such a cheapskate.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home