Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Hope

... for a Golden Summer.
They have a really weird, eery, unique sound. They're out of Athens, and play here from time to time--I've seen them at Cameli's the veg. restaurant, and at The Earl. They're playing this Thursday at New Street Gallery in Decatur, and lead singer Claire Campbell will be singing solo with...out "Hope," but with some others at Eddie's Attic in Decatur on Friday night.

You can listen to some music on their site, though it doesn't do them justice. I find that live, they're so much better--even though I've now bought 2 of their cd's, one which I just pre-ordered today. They have unconventional instruments like an accordian, banjo, clarinet, xylophone, a standup bass, the occasional slide whistle (which we all know I freakin love) and Claire plays a saw during some songs. She and her sister, Page, do most of the singing, and their voices together are really ....just weird and haunting and goose-bump-producing. Eery harmonies. Meet the band here.

Not to mention they're all SUPER cool, super nice--I even used (with permission, of course) parts of their song "Home is the Place" in the Dailies film "She's Leaving Home" for the Sgt. Pepper Project. Man, it sticks with you.

So, there you go.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian Bannon said...

I fell in love with Hearts in Jars after hearing it on WRAS a bunch last year. But Malt Liquor's fun to crank on Boulevard.

11:11 PM  
Blogger maryk said...

I think i have a friend crush on Claire.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Going Number Two said...

whatevs... that chick with the saw shushed me once at the 40 watt. I was only there to see their opening band anyway, The Many Faces of Brendan Fraser, who, sadly, are no longer together.

8:19 PM  
Blogger maryk said...

well, did you need shushing?
Bess back off my lady!
hee haw!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home