Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Necessary Evil Not Necessary?

Uh, Phillip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly by Richard Linklater is slated to be released in big markets on July 7th, and in Atlanta and others on July 14th.
Where is the marketing? Has anyone seen any adds for it? Am I just not watching TV or paying attention? Find it hard to believe this isn't being pushed more. I'm still planning on seeing it, even without someone telling me to. How's that for initiative?

I also think I might want to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean.
I just thought you should know. I'm going to that one because of the AWEsome marketing efforts, and tremendous cooperative advertising techniques employed. I'm gonna find that damn VOLVO! Volvo's are so piratey and Caribbeanish. What a great idea. I am disappointed, however, in the low number of "booty" references I've heard in conjunction with the movie. I should've worked in the field of my education---we wouldn't have tragedies like this.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a trailer yesterday at Tara when going to see Peaceful Warrior. I'm not familiar with Philip Dick's novel, but I'm sure fans will love it, esp. when you get to see Keanu Reeves as an animation - wow, it will be the most animated we've ever seen him! Ba dum bump.

10:53 AM  
Blogger evilisgood said...

I saw a trailer for "A Scanner Darkly" just the other day, but you're right, they aren't marketing it like they should. Setting it up for failure is my guess.

12:39 PM  
Blogger maryk said...

Speaking of FX, what do you think of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?"

4:07 PM  
Blogger rp said...

They're marketing it appropriately. I've seen numerous trailers for it, focusing mostly on R. Downey Jr's speech and/or homemade silencer. This is a very niche film, with an audience of mostly (Philip K.) Dickheads and probably a small percentage of curious bystanders. This is a great relief to me. Every other Dick adaptation have been action movie/sci-fi hybrids. This looks to be the first true adaptation, and Linklater is obviously not trying to sell it as anything else.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what?
I thought this was going to be another drug-fueled lovable-slacker laugh-fest just like Linklater's only other existing film: Dazed and Confused.

I heard he died shortly after filming D&C, this new film was animated using ancient footage he shot while high on meth.

11:02 AM  
Blogger maryk said...

now that's marketing.

1:55 PM  
Blogger rp said...

i smell a mash-up!

9:15 PM  
Blogger maryk said...

It's alright. The couple episodes I've seen had potential, but fell a little short, i thought. There were several really hilarious MOMENTS, though. Think it might be a little too aware of itself, though.
I should watch a couple more to be fair.

2:11 PM  
Blogger rp said...

Jeff Bridges was nominated for an Oscar?

3:26 PM  
Blogger maryk said...

i finally saw the end of one ad.

11:28 PM  
Blogger evilisgood said...

They have been pushing it pretty madly on FX. I was watching a Nip/Tuck-athon this past Saturday (I know it's kind of cheesy but that's part of its charm) and there were about five different spots that they rotated during the course of four hours. I am excited!! One thing that has always bothered me about PKD adaptations is they totally ignore the deranged sense of humor. Looks like Linklater chose to embrace it.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home