Friday, September 30, 2005

The Dame, KY

I'm partial owner of a music venue in Lexington, KY called The Dame. Yeah, I know. Huh? It's sort of an Echo Lounge-type-o-place, gets some indie-tour bands, which I'd llike to see it book more of. Holds about 400 people. Couple bars, some tables and booths, you get the idea. Click on the picture above and check out the site.
We've recently had a booking agent/general manager switch (oh my goooood lord, the drama), and I'm not sure they're getting all the "cool" bands they could/should. It's right near the UofK campus, so the potential is huge for it to be really popular. I'm trying to compile a list of bands to suggest to the guy to try to contact and persuade to come to The Dame, esp. bands who might already be touring through Louisville. I'm sure he's aware of almost anybody I'd offer, but my friends are much hipper than me.
Any suggestions of favorites?
Clunky is always promoting really cool bands that I've never heard of on his site. For instance, one he mentioned just recently is "Clap your hands say yeah," whose Oct. 15th show at The Earl is apparently already sold out. They sound perfect, but I notice they're only going to Louisville on their tour.

I thought some of the people who read this occasionally might have some bands they'd like to promote/suggest?

Let a sista know.

I'd also like to go up there to the place sometime relatively soon, so if anybody wanna make a roadtrip of debauchery when there's a good or interesting band playing...

...let a sista know that, too.

8 Comments:

Blogger rp said...

Ummm, mc chris?! and The Most Serene Republic.

4:09 PM  
Blogger maryk said...

Well, I have mc chris on my list!
But if I didn't already know him, personally, I know I wouldn't know WHO he was. I'm just---NOT--cool.

Most Serene Republic, eh? (a-google...)

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you could get Devotchka or The Black Keys, I'd fly to your club. I wouldn't really, but I would think about flying to your club. In my mind, I'd fly. I have a large list to recommend, but I think I'll just email it to you. I don't want to be the guy with a long list of bands. Why should I be? The bands exist with or without the list. In fact, forget the list.

12:12 PM  
Blogger maryk said...

No, don't forget the list. I want the list. Give me the list! Or don't. You can do what you want.

Give me the list!

2:13 PM  
Blogger cruchic said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:42 PM  
Blogger cruchic said...

I'll road trip to that. Mary K - club owner. I wanna see you in that element. And I love this blogging. I keep learning new shit about you crazy people.

3:44 PM  
Blogger maryk said...

You dit-en suggest any bands.
And what on earth did you delete? You know, I've been a partial owner (small share) for about 3 years now. It's just so far away, and I'm sort of a silent (try mute) partner, that I forget, too.
And why does MY own blog make ME type the crazy squiggly verification letters, too.

4:28 PM  
Blogger cruchic said...

I didn't mean to delete. It was the same post. And, I'll send you some bands. I'm getting a list together just like Casey. 'Cause he's my brother. I like that you're a 'mute partner'. Very cool. You're blog doesn't trust you.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home